What kind of hamsters do you carry?
There are so many furry, friendly hamsters at The Animal Store that it’s hard to keep them straight, so I asked the staff for some info. They wanted me to tell you that our stock varies, but here are the varieties we usually carry.
Roborovski(i) Hamsters (Phodopus roborovskii)
- aka Desert Hamster
- smallest of the dwarf hamsters (about 2 inches long)
Siberian Hamsters (Phodopus sungorus)
- aka Winter White Russian Hamster, Djungarian Hamster, Dzungarian dwarf hamster, Sapphire Winter White Russian Dwarf hamster,
- size (about 3-4 inches long)
Note: We do not carry Chinese Hamsters (Cricetulus griseus) (recognizable by their long tails)
Standard (Syrian) Hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus)
- aka Golden hamsters (common tan and white); Fancy hamsters (any color other than golden); Teddy Bear or Longhair hamsters (any hamster with long hair, any color).
- size (about 6-7 inches long)
Black Bear Hamsters
- aka European Black Bear hamsters, Black Syrian hamsters
- a variety of Syrian hamster, with black fur and white masks and paws; tend to be a bit larger than other Syrian hamsters.
Come visit our hamsters (and me, Ernie, the Giant Gourami) soon.